Hello to the Monty Tech Community,
As we move on to Quarter 2, I think that we would all agree that it has been an interesting fall where we have rarely seen the sun, and even experienced a touch of snow one morning in October. However, even though we are approaching the holiday season, it would be nice to have a little less snow this winter so that we can actually finish the academic year on time, rather than during the final days of June.
With one quarter behind us, it would make sense that we take a moment to recognize some of the progress on our school-wide initiatives, as well as achievements by members of the school community. Such items include –
- Without question, one of our most exciting moments of the first quarter occurred on October 24thas the students and instructors of our construction trades – House Carpentry, Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC and Property Maintenance, CAD/Drafting, Cabinetmaking, Masonry and Metal Fabrication – were joined by 150 community guests as we formally cut the ribbon to open our Veterinary Science Clinic. Noteworthy guests included Governor Charlie Baker, Representative Jim McGovern and Education Commissioner Jeff Riley. All sophomore and freshmen classes are now meeting within the clinic, which continues to prepare for our formal opening, to pet owners across our district, in fall 2019.
- Through the efforts of Dr. Sheila Harrity, Superintendent, and Katy Whitaker, Development Coordinator, we continue to be rewarded with grant funds that will support our fledgling Veterinary Science program. Recently, Monty Tech earned a $10,000 grant from the Bemis Foundation and a $25,000 grant for equipment from the Davis Foundation.
- Speaking of foundations, the Monty Tech Foundation hosted its annual Golf Fundraiser at Oak Hill C.C. where 94 golfers/supporters overcame a chilly and windy afternoon to raise $13,300 to be used to support scholarships, which will be given out during the Class of 2019 Senior Awards Night in May.
- Lastly, in regards to grants, the school hopes to build on our good fortune in recently earning a nearly $500,000 Capital Skills Grant for the construction of an Automation, Robotics and Mechatronics Lab to support our Electrical, Engineering Technology and CAD/Drafting programs. In October, Monty Tech submitted a $125,000 grant proposal to acquire an anatomage virtual reality table, which could be used in our Health Occupations and Anatomy & Physiology classes.
- In terms of fall athletics, we want to thank all athletes for working hard for their teams. In particular, we want to congratulate the Boys Soccer team for qualifying for the state tournament, and the Boys Cross Country team for placing second in the State Vocational Championship Meet.
- Once again, our Guidance and Student Support Departments started the year off with several community meetings to support college and career planning. These included our 12thAnnual College & Career Night where 94 colleges, trade schools and union representatives shared information with hundreds of families. In addition, the annual MEFA College Financial Aid night was held, providing an opportunity for 80 families to become more familiar with the state’s financial aid application process.
- In October, Monty Tech hosted two separate Honor Roll Dinner nights in order to recognize the academic and vocational excellence of nearly 320 students. Each student had qualified for either the Honor Roll, High Honor Roll or Principal’s List for all four quarters during the 2017-2018 school year.
- Lastly, all of our vocational instructors met with their colleagues from our shop advisory boards to discuss the status of each shop and their efforts to stay current and connected to outside industry. Over 360 members attended the Annual Fall Meeting, but it is important to note our newest members including –
Rob Roy Hair Salon
Mia Bella Spa
TAK Medical Group
DM Smith Framing
Holyoke Medical Center
BayState Wing Hospital
Ramdsen Fieldstone Walls
Framingham State University
Saint Gobain Performance Ceramics & Refractories
Palmers Flooring & Home Renovations
Northern Machinery Sales, Inc.
Garlock Printing & Converting
New England Truck Design
Thumbs Up Beauty Salon
Space Age Electronics
Central Animal Hospital
Elite Construction & Design
James & Matthew
Central Mass EMS Corp
Looking ahead, there are many upcoming events at Monty Tech during the months of November and December. Those would include –
- 13th& 15th– Monty Tech will hold its annual Parent Teacher Conferences on these days. This will mean an early dismissal at 11:00am on each day.
- 21st– The Thanksgiving Day break begins after an 11:00am dismissal. Keep in mind that the annual Thanksgiving Day football game is at Nashoba Tech at 6:00pm.
- 3-7th– We will kick off our month-long, local SkillsUSA competitions as the Junior shop competitions are held this week.
- 10-14th– The SkillsUSA Competitions will continue with the local Senior/ Sophomore shop competitions.
- 10th– Once again, for the second year in a row, Monty Tech is honored to be selected as one of the stops for Wreaths Across America, an effort to celebrate our honored veterans and Gold Star families during the holidays. This year, Monty Tech has been chosen as an overnight stop for the caravan. During the afternoon and evening, a ceremony will be held in the PAC to honor our guests and celebrate the upcoming holidays.
- 12th– The annual tradition continues, as Monty Tech will celebrate our former colleagues during the Retirees Buffet at the Mountain Room Restaurant.
- 14th– Students will be released at 11:00am so that faculty and staff can hold a ½ Day Professional Development Day.
- 21st– The SkillsUSA Local Awards Ceremony will be held during the afternoon, as this will be the final day of school before the Holiday Break.
- 26th-Dec. 28th– Please note that the Main Office is open during break with hours from 7:30am-3:30pm.
- 2nd– The school will reopen following the Holiday Break.
If you have questions about any specific events as we move through the holiday season, then please do not hesitate to contact Mrs. LaFalam at ext. 5205. Finally, on behalf of the faculty, staff and administration, I want to wish everyone in the Monty Tech community a Happy Holiday Season!!
Tom Browne, Principal