Greetings to the Monty Tech Community,
I am sure that we would all agree that when I wrote our last report in December, none of us would have guessed that we would not have a single snow day yet this winter. Nevertheless, here we sit at the end of February still on track to have a final day of school on June 11th!! Let us hope the trend continues through March as we work our way through the relatively quiet months before spring. Still, there have been a number of events worth noting during these months such as –
- Session #2 of our VIP program launched last month. Once again, the purpose of this program is to introduce middle school students from our sending districts to a variety of our vocational programs. Our Director of Admissions, Christine Lamey, is in charge of the program and she is supported by a large group of our vocational instructors and specialists. During the Winter Session, the following towns participated in the program -
Number of Students
Assorted Home Schooled Students
Assorted Parochial School Students
The primary towns for our upcoming Session #3 are Ashby, Athol, Fitchburg, Petersham and Royalston. This session begins on March 11th and the application deadline is March 1st.
- With spring approaching, we will soon be well into the MCAS season. However, there are other vital state-wide exams that occur during the winter. One of those exams is the ACCESS Exam, which is administered to our English Language Learners (ELLs) at Monty Tech. The District assesses the reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills of ELL students using this exam. When it is determined that students have attained English proficiency, these students become FLEPs (Formerly Limited English Proficient). However, even when students are “FLEPed”, the district still monitors their progress for two years. In recent years, Monty Tech’s ELL population has grown from 3 students in 2014-2015 to 15 students this year. Birthplaces for these students include Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Ethiopia, Netherlands and Kenya. We want to thank Francis Freel, our ESL instructor, for administering all exams and providing wonderful support to our students.
- Speaking of testing, Monty Tech received the results of our MCAS Retest exams from the fall and we are very proud to say that all members of our upcoming graduating class of 2019 have passed all of their MCAS exams making all students eligible for graduation.
- In terms of Monty Tech winter sports, we are very excited to acknowledge the accomplishments of three individual athletes and one team.
- First, a duo of competitors from the Girls Basketball Team reached an amazing milestone as Seniors Erica Regan and Emily St. Thomas scored their 1000th point this season.
- With such great leadership, the Girls Basketball team earned their first Colonial Athletic League title since 2008 and they are currently competing in the State Vocational as well as State-wide Championship tournaments.
- Freshman Isaic Paulino became the first Division 2 place-winner for Monty Tech since 2007 as he earned a bronze medal in the state wrestling championships. His next stop is the all-state championships.
- Even with the threat of snow challenging everyone, Monty Tech was happy, once again, to host the nearly 350 members of our vocational program advisories for our Winter Program Advisory Dinner on February 13th. The important discussions regarding career readiness, equipment and co-op placements are great benefits to our students and we thank all of our community partners.
We now inch our way toward April and the warmer days of spring. In terms of upcoming events, students, parents and families should be aware of the following…
- 26th – As required by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Monty Tech will hold an MCAS Infrastructure Trial Exam for all Sophomores. This brief practice exam will allow the school to assess our readiness to administer the new online MCAS exam, while simultaneously allowing the students to become more familiar with the online features of the exam.
- March 1st – Progress Report grades for Quarter 3 will close on this date and families will receive their student’s Progress Report on March 8th.
- 6th – Once again, Monty Tech will hold its annual Motivational Speaker Day. This year, Monty Tech will host Frank Abagnale, subject of the movie Catch Me If You Can. After an early life as a con man, Mr. Abagnale joined the FBI as one of the foremost experts on check forgeries and bank fraud.
- March 13th – The SkillsUSA District competition will be held at bay Path Regional Vocational Technical School. We wish all of our competitors Good Luck!!
- March 13th – Monty Tech will host the spring Open House from 5:30-7:30pm. The Open House includes a community Spaghetti Supper as well as an opportunity for families of prospective students to tour our shops, meet our academic and vocational instructors, and get questions about the application process answered. Just in case, there is a snow date set for March 14th in case of inclement weather.
- March 18th – The spring sports season kicks off with practices on this day. We strongly encourage all families to check the Athletics section on the web page to make sure all necessary paperwork and physicals are complete by this day.
- March 22nd – We will have an 11:00am dismissal on this day, as teachers will participate in a Professional Development Workshop.
- March 26-27th – There will be a special schedule these days as Sophomores will sit for the MCAS ELA exam.
- March 28th – Our Guidance Department will hold its spring MEFA College Night, where questions regarding financial aid and the college application process will be addressed.
- April 3rd – Monty Tech will hold its 32nd Annual Superintendent’s Dinner with a Kentucky Derby theme. Those interested in purchasing tickets should contact Katy Whitaker at ext. 5253.
- April 5th – Quarter 3 will close on this day with Report Cards being sent home on April 12th.
If you have questions about any specific events as we move through the end of winter, then please do not hesitate to contact Mrs. LaFalam at ext. 5205 for more information. I hope that everyone has a safe and happy remainder of the season!