Greetings to the Monty Tech Community,
After a very pleasant somewhat extended summer vacation, due to the lack of snow days this past winter, we find autumn upon us and the 2019-2020 school year has begun. I hope that the transition back to school has been smooth for everyone as we start the year with optimism and excitement.
However, before we review upcoming events, it is always important to acknowledge the great work that occurred during this summer. This includes the dedicated work of our teachers and paraprofessionals who supported current and prospective students in our Summer Academy, Summer Camp and Summer School. In particular, I would like to thank the program leaders John Bozicas, Chrissy Leamy and Noemi Robertson. In addition, we should acknowledge our dedicated custodial department for their ongoing efforts to prepare our 50+ year old building for another year. It would not be a complete Monty Tech summer if we did not complete a few renovations around campus. This year those efforts included the laying of a new floor in Auto Body, replacement of the original coolers in the cafeteria kitchen, installation of a new oven and steamer in the Culinary kitchen, repainting of the secondary gym and exterior panels on the front of the building, construction of the new café sandwich line and the paving of the Fitchburg end of the main lot.
With the first few weeks behind us, I do want to remind all families that if you have not already returned the annual paperwork and forms – especially our new Student Directory and Contact Information Form – please do so as soon as possible. I am also pleased to report that we have nearly completed the distribution of our new Chromebook devices to all students. If you have any questions about the devices, the optional accident/theft coverage, or signing up for our X2 Aspen Parent Portal, then please contact our Technology Director, Mr. Kitzmiller, at email@example.com. In terms of student schedules, the add/drop period where students can request changes will end on September 27th. After that date, changes can only be made based on teacher recommendation.
Everyone should note that there are several new initiatives and instructional improvements coming up this year. Those include –
- First, we will be completing the final step in the introduction of our Veterinary program with the official opening of our Veterinary Clinic to the public. Since we only have upperclassmen during our B week schedule, we will only be open every other week, and we want to remind the public that we specifically serve resource limited families. You can find the eligibility requirements for patients here - https://www.montytech.net/Page/6268 - and please visit the Veterinary Clinic section which can be found if you scroll down on the main web page - montytech.net.
- In addition, as a result of 2018 Mass. Skills Grant funds, we will formally open the Automation-Robotics-Mechatronics (A.R.M) Lab associated with our Electrical and Engineering programs during STEM Week in October.
- We are also thrilled to share that Monty Tech earned an additional 2019 Mass. Skills Grant valued at $384,000 that will allow us to develop a new diagnostic lab in Auto Technology and to provide Health Occupations with new furnishings, equipment and technology, including an EKG machine and anatomage table.
We are also very excited to welcome the following individuals to the Monty Tech community as our new faculty and staff members include –
Vet. Clinic Office Manager
Vet. Clinic Medical Director
Vet. Science Instructor
CAD/Drafting (Year Long Sub.)
Health Occupations Instructor
Looking ahead to the fall months, we will be soon be launching into a number of our annual events including -
* September 27 – Grades will close for First Quarter Progress Reports on this date. We will issue the reports on October 2nd.
* September 30th-October 4th – The annual Spirit Week will be held this week which will conclude with the annual Homecoming football game on Friday night and Homecoming Dance on Saturday night.
* October 3 - Monty Tech will host its annual College & Career Fair from 5:00pm-7:00m in the cafeteria. This is a great opportunity for all families to meet with over 70 representatives from regional two and four year colleges, technical schools and local unions.
* October 9 – Once again Monty Tech will meet with over 350 of our business and community partners for our Fall Advisory Dinner and program committee meetings.
* October 10 – In recognition of the hard work of our students to achieve the honor roll and principal’s list during each semester of the 2018-2019 school year, Monty Tech will host its annual Honor Roll Banquets. Students and families will receive invitations prior to the event with last names from A-L attending on the 10th and those with last names M-Z attending on the 24th. Dinners for both nights will be held in the cafeteria at 6:00pm.
* October 17 – As our Seniors complete college applications and our Juniors prepare to begin their post-secondary planning, our Guidance Department will hold its annual MEFA Financial Aid Night. The goal of this session is to provide an overview of the college application process, college visit strategies and financial aid planning. This event is held in the auditorium beginning at 6:30pm.
* October 21 – Monty Tech will hold its annual Tour Day so prospective 8th grade applicants can become more familiar with the school on this date. This means there will be no school for our current students. Later this evening, Monty Tech will hold its annual Career Awareness Night where current and prospective students and families are invited to tour all 21 of our Vocational Programs to gain a familiarity with their offerings.
* November 1 – The Monty Tech staff will hold the first of three Professional Development half days on this date. Dismissal will be at 11:00am. Additionally, First Quarter grades will close on this date with report cards being issued the following week.
* November 19 & 21 – Our annual Parent Teachers Conferences will be held on these days with each day including an afternoon and evening session. Parents will sign up for conferencces via our online Pick-A-Time scheduler. More information will be sent out in late October. Due to these conferences, each of these day will be half days with dismissal at 11:00am.
* November 27 – We hope that everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday which will begin with an early dismissal at 11:00am on this day.
Throughout the year, we will be adding significant dates to our calendar so I strongly encourage everyone to look for updates on the school’s website (www.montytech.net), Facebook page (@MontachusettRegionalVocationalTechnicalSchool) and Twitter account (@montytech). I hope everyone has a fantastic autumn!
Tom Browne, Principal