Hello to the Monty Tech Community,
With the holidays behind us, we forge ahead to the heart of this winter season and prepare for mid-year exams and the transition to the second semester. However, before we look ahead, I want to remind everyone of some of the wonderful events that have taken place over the past few months. Such items include –
- In October and November, our Director of Admissions, Christina Leamy, and Monty Tech hosted our first session for our annual VIP Program, the opportunity for middle school students to participate in a variety of shops after school for a four-week period. During each session, Monty Tech invites specific towns to participate in this wonderful opportunity. It should be noted that in some cases, individual students might participate in a different session from their peers because they are unable to attend their town’s scheduled session. Session #1 was very successful, with students participating from the following sending communities –
Number of Students
Gardner (Middle and High)
Holy Family Academy
Various Private Schools
- Prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, Monty Tech once again hosted our annual Parent-Teacher Conference Nights. Unlike past years where conferences were held during the week of Thanksgiving, we changed our schedule so that all conferences were held the week prior to Thanksgiving, and it seems like this was a popular change. In the end, the school hosted 2,294 individual conferences. We plan to continue this schedule into the future.
- In December, as the holidays approached, Monty Tech proudly experienced the return of the Wreaths Across America convoy. This organizationis committed to teaching younger generations about the value of their freedoms and the importance of honoring those who sacrificed so much to protect those freedoms – including veterans and Gold Star families. Each year, they journey from Maine to Arlington National Cemetery in order to lay Christmas wreaths on the graves of our fallen heroes. The distinguished speakers during this ceremony included welcoming remarks from Dr. Sheila Harrity, Fitchburg Mayor Stephen DiNatale, and the MA Secretary of Veterans Affairs Francisco Urena. Our invited guests, Keynote Speaker SSgt. Daniel Strong and Beckey Christmas, President of American Gold Star Mothers, further inspired the audience. Lastly, everyone was honored to recognize Capt. Vincent “Bill” Purple from Petersham. Purple was a member of the Army Air Corps in World War II who took part in 35 missions and was awarded the French Legion of Honor, Distinguished Flying Cross, and the Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters. On the following morning, students, faculty and staff lined the front of the building to bid a fond farewell to the convoy with American flags being waved by the crowd.
- In addition, during the same week, the talented students of Monty Tech and Leominster High School came together to perform their 3rdannual Holiday Concert at the Cousins Auditorium. Unfortunately, due to the busy week in the PAC with Wreaths Across America. Monty Tech was unable to host a performance this winter, but the music will return in April when the wonderful chorus and concert band performers return for the Spring Concert.
- Once again, the Guidance Department continued their series of interest-specific workshops to support our students’ post-secondary plans and to ensure that there are opportunities for parental involvement in that decision-making process. This particular workshop session, Military Awareness Night, provided an opportunity for students and families to receive information directly from military representatives from the United States Air Force Recruiting Office (Leominster, MA), Massachusetts Army National Guard (Gardner, MA), U.S. Navy Recruiting Station (Leominster, MA) and the U.S. Marine Recruiters (Leominster, MA). With approximately 60 families in attendance, each family had an opportunity to discuss their specific plan. For example, 1st Paul Jornet was able to meet with individual families in order to discuss the results of the recently completed ASVAB assessment.
Now, however, it is time to move into the mid-year exam season. But I want to remind all families that Monty Tech recently sent out a new ly revised schedule, in the case of a Delayed Opening due to wintry weather. This schedule was sent to all families over the holiday break, and differs from past schedules because it allows all nine periods to meet even if there is a delayed opening. This schedule will go into effect when the next delayed start occurs.
In terms of upcoming events, students, parents and families should be aware of the following…
- 9th- Similar to above, the second session of the VIP program will kick off involving the following towns - Harvard, Holden, Lunenburg, Princeton, Sterling, & Winchendon.
- 14th-18th– Mid-year exams for Freshmen and Juniors will be held.
- 21st– There will be no school due to the Martin Luther King holiday.
- 22nd-25th– Mid-year exams for Sophomores and Seniors will be held.
- 25th– The first semester ends on this day. In addition, Freshmen will have their final day of Exploratory. Hence, during this weekend, Freshmen will fill out their Freshmen Shop Selection forms identifying their top choices for shop programs.
- 28th– The second semester begins on this day and, as noted above, all Freshmen Shop Selection forms will be due into the Guidance Office.
- 1 – Quarter 2 Report Cards will be distributed during Period 9.
- 4th& 5th– The Guidance Department will continue its post-secondary workshop series by hosting two workshops directed at student who are considering enrollment into a 2-year college. Interested students can sign up in the Guidance Office.
- 5th& 6th– Select students will participate in the MCAS Biology Retest.
- 13th– Monty Tech will hold its annual Winter Program Advisory Meetings. The snow date for this event will be Thursday, Feb. 14th.
- 16th-24th– The Winter Break occurs this week.
- 4th-8th- Select students will participate in the MCAS ELA and/or Math Retest.
If you have questions about any specific events as we move through the winter months, then please do not hesitate to contact Mrs. LaFalam at ext. 5205 for more information. Finally, on behalf of the faculty, staff and administration, I want to wish everyone in the Monty Tech community a Happy New Year!!
Tom Browne, Principal